Some work of late

I wanted to share some of my recent work. I've been pretty busy.


I was asked by a new client the other day (who remembers my work from 2 years ago, but hasn't seen anything recent) if my work has a set 'look'....ahhh 'the look the job requires...' I wanted to reply! From the above*, it's clear that I don't.

I understand that some designers have a set aesthetic they work to, and that's great because that's often how and why they get hired. But for me, perhaps because I spent so long in advertising, I never acquired one. I know what I like and what I prefer but I don't ever force that onto my clients**. I work with my client's wants and needs and brand to create something unique every time.

I've had a lot of fun making a few stop motion animations lately, and cracked out the old After Effects as well, since I can now afford it. And when I have free time (I don't) I have been putting together a wedding book/album/finally!! thingie thanks to this great tip off from Pink Ronnie.)

*Please note I'm not counting the wireframe (second to last) as 'design'!!!

**I'm not suggesting other people do this either.

2 comments:

  1. That's great that you don't try to force your likes and dislikes on your client - it's an important attribute to have as a designer and sadly I was never that great at being impartial like that. It took me such a long time to learn emotional distance from my work.

    How long were you in advertising for?

    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ronnie, I think dealing with clients is something that unfortunately they don't teach you in design school.

      Not long ago I read a popular blogger say that her design portfolio was full of work that she changed from what the client wanted (and was delivered) back to what she wanted. I find that really unprofessional because when you sell yourself as a designer you aren't just selling the final product but selling yourself as being capable of carrying a project (and the client) to a great final product.

      That rant aside, my insight into impartiality is to not approach each project like it will be the B.E.S.T. work of your life. Of course, be professional, work hard and work well but aim for exactly that, a job well done, and not for 'design award winning'. It helps take a lot of pressure of yourself and refocusses your attention not on the 'design' but on what the design is communicating. The emotional toll is far less this way (and I completely understand where you are coming from, I mean the number of projects Ive cried over!)

      So this comment is now longer than the post! I was in advertising for 6 years and still sort of ongoing. I started as a designer, and then moved into more of a 'creative' roll, purely concepting digital campaigns. I did eventually miss day to day design though.

      B

      Delete