We weren't sure quite what he was..

I'm pretty excited about all of the Eames related content currently floating around the web. Most of it surrounds the release of a documentary on the pair, Eames: The Architect and The Painter.



The husband-and-wife team of Charles and Ray Eames are widely regarded as America’s most important designers. Perhaps best remembered for their mid-century plywood and fiberglass furniture, the Eames Office also created a mind-bending variety of other products, from splints for wounded military during World War II, to photography, interiors, multi-media exhibits, graphics, games, films and toys. But their personal lives and influence on significant events in American life – from the development of modernism, to the rise of the computer age – has been less widely understood.


Ice Cube is also a fan of their work and you can see him talk about it below and read an interview about it on NYTimes. (both links via Kottke)
 

What I like most about the Ice Cube video is not how much he loves the Eames house but how much he clearly loves Los Angeles. LA is a city where you have to search for the good stuff ("the beauty" is too eloquent a description). In New York, Sydney, Melbourne it's easy to find great buildings, events, culture. In LA you have to work for it. It's as if the city is trying to keep you away from its goods.

I'm currently reading "It Chooses You" by LA based film maker Miranda July, a fascinating read about her attempts to break past the walls that LA puts up. An excerpt:

But the moment I got back in my car I knew I would never see him again, ever. It suddenly seemed obvious to me that the whole world, especially Los Angeles, was designed to protect me from these people I was meeting. There was no law against knowing them, but it wouldn’t happen. LA isn’t a walking city, or a subway city, so if someone isn’t in my house or my car we’ll never be together, not even for a moment.

I guess all this means that I can't wait to see this documentary. The Eames team had a great desire to create and break down walls. They're an utter inspiration and they must have loved LA too.

No comments:

Post a Comment